Over 11,500 Young Eagles flown
Palmetto Sport Aviation (EAA Chapter 242) participates in the national Young Eagles program which provides young people, ages 8-17, a FREE introductory experience in general aviation. This experience includes a 20 minute flight with a local volunteer pilot. Since 1992 EAA Chapter 242 has flown over 11,500 Young Eagles! We are also striving to provide more and more ground activities to further enrich the visit to the airport and the chapter.
Video From August 13th Young Eagles Rally!
Thanks to sim2stick
Young Eagles flights occur every second Saturday of each month. Weather permitting, flying begins at 9:00am. The event starts in the chapter's club house (the “Sport Aviation Center”) at the end of the row of hangers opposite the Hamilton Owens Airport main terminal, past the parking lot. Look for our “Young Eagles” banner on the fence as you drive in.
Registration in advance of the flight is necessary as we need to coordinate pilots according to the number of Young Eagles that have plans to attend the event.
Following are the steps to register:
1. Access this Young Eagles Program link to learn more about the opportunities
2. After reviewing information on this page, click on Find A Young Eagles Flight
3. Under the Find A Flight header, click on YoungEaglesDay.org in order to register
4. Enter your zip code to find an airport nearest to you that may be hosting an event. The zip code for Hamilton Owens Airport (downtown Columbia) is 29205
5. Select the EAA Chapter hosting the event. At Hamilton Owens airport it is EAA 242
6. Complete the registration forms.
7. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions
We welcome all Young Eagles, first time fliers have priority and former Young Eagles are also welcome to join us at Young Eagle events to fly after first time fliers. Parents are welcome to join us and take pictures as your kids experience the exciting world of aviation for the first time.
More information on what to do next, after a flight, can be found by accessing this EAA 242 Young Eagles .pdf flyer:
Your Flight Experience
Your Young Eagles flight will last approximately 20 minutes and you will see the earth and sky in a new and exciting way. This is your chance to experience the freedom of flight that many people only dream about.
1. Many people remember this experience for the rest of their lives. You will, too!
2. On the ground: Your pilot explains what will happen during the flight. You may talk about the airplane, review an aeronautical chart (or map), and complete a careful “walk-around” preflight inspection of the airplane.
3. Just before takeoff: Your pilot explains the interior of the airplane, including the operation of the aircraft door, safety belts, and instrument panel.
4. In the air: The flight lasts between 15 and 20 minutes. And, if you want, your pilot may let you take the controls!
5. Back on the ground: There’s more time for you to ask questions about the flight. Your pilot is happy to tell you more about flying and their particular airplane.